The intoxication by Amanita muscaria and relativesIncubation : short (30mn to 4 hours).
Toxic compounds involved : muscarine (in small amounts, responsible fot the digestive disorders), and derivatives of isoxasol (responsible for the disorders of the central nervous system) such as muscaridine, muscimol, ibotenic acid, muscazone
Signs of intoxication :
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, digestive pains, mouth dryness.
- Increase of heart beats, hypertension, mydriasis (dilation of the pupil)
- Euphoria, drunkenness, anger outbursts, hallucinations
- Convulsions, stupor and sleep, nervous disorders getting up to delirium or coma (rare deadly cases reported)
- emetics, potassium bromide, sedatives, treatment against nervous disorders
Responsible species :
- some amanitas: Panther Cap (the most toxic), Fly Agaric, Jewelled Amanita (with a variable toxicity!),
page updated on 25/06/15